Q: Battery light and check engine light on

My battery light and check engine light came on same time now my car won't start. What should I do???

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’m happy to help.

The battery light will come on if the charging system and battery voltage drops below a minimum set by the factory. The check engine light is letting you know that there is a problem that a code has been set in memory that can be diagnosed. If your charging system is not charging, then it will cause the battery to run down and the check engine light to come on. I recommend having the battery charged and tested first. Then have the computer scanned to diagnose any codes received. Check the charging system and repair or replace the alternator as needed.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.