Q: I have a check engine light coming on and off. Scanned code is p0013. CMP solenoid fault. 2008 Pontiac G6

Engine light started coming on so I took it to AutoZone and got it scanned. The result says that the code is P0013 and the definition of the code is as follows: Camshaft position(CMP) actuator solenoid fault Explanation: The ECM has detected an opne or short circuit condition in the CMP actuator solenoid, Probable cause: Open or short circuit condition or failed CMP actuator solenoid.After some research I did some troubleshooting. I disconnected the battery and unplugged both camshaft position sensors that are placed on the front and the back of the engine head and I plugged them back in and reconnected the battery. Then I started the car and the engine light was gone so I thought it was fixed. Next morning I started the car and the engine light was back on so I repeated the process and now the engine light is off. My question is Do I need to replace the Camshaft position sensors or Camshaft actuator? How can I test which should be replaced? Could timing belt also cause this? Thank you

Hello - the P0013 (camshaft position actuator solenoid control circuit) code you have could be caused by several issues. This could be an electrical issue with the wiring to that solenoid itself. There may also be a problem with a stretched camshaft timing chain or worn cam chain guides - especially if cam chain timing components have not been serviced on your engine. Since your problem comes and goes, I would check the wiring and connectors closely as a first priority. Then check for a lack of continuity in the solenoids themselves. I recommend a Check Engine inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.