Q: Turns over won't start. 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle

I got in my car this morning, turned the key and it turned over. But it wouldn’t start. It seemed like it doesn’t get enough gas, but when I pumped the gas pedal a couple of times it got flooded. It has a Carter carburetor in it. I wonder if it might be wired in there the wrong way. Do you know what might be wrong?

Hello. It is possible that there is a wiring issue, or that the carburetor is actually leaking fuel into the engine which flooded it. I usually pull the spark plugs first to see if they are covered in fuel. If they are, then they need to be cleaned or replaced and the carburetor needs to be fixed. If there is not fuel, then I would check the engine for spark. If there is no spark, then there is an issue with the distributor. If you don’t want to diagnose this yourself, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the starting problem and assist with repair.

3. Turns over won't start. 1972 Chevrolet Chevelle