Q: Oil Change issues

asked by on October 01, 2017

Hello. I have a 2017 Chevy Camaro V6 w/manual trans. I have been changing my own oil for years, and I am completely LOST. I drained the oil, took the filter off, etc. After everything was right I filled up with 5qts of fully synthetic oil. As soon as I turned the car on ALL of the oil stated leaking out from the filter. I take the filter off and retighten it. Then I put another 5qts of oil in and the same thing happened again. What is going on?! Now my car is just sitting. I’d rather not have to tow it to the dealer.

Hello, thank you for writing in. Your issue is likely something small and silly that you are overlooking. Often the oil filter seal sticks to the engine rather than the old oil filter when you take it off. If this happens, and you do not catch it, you double up on the seals when you install the new one, and this causes a leak. Secondly, get a flashlight and anything else you need to make sure the threads on the engine when you screw on the filter are perfect. Lastly, double and triple check that you have the right oil filter. If the issue persists, try getting another filter, as this one may be faulty (its rare, but does happen).