Q: Hard to turn steering wheel when on park.

My 1969 Ford Mustang is having issues with its power steering. The pump, Control valve, slave cylinder, tie rods and arms are re manufactured pieces "new". The only thing that has not been replaced is the gearbox. When the tires are in the air it's easy to turn lock to lock. When they are on the ground and the car is static (not rolling tires) it's hard to turn lock to lock steering wheel. I've taken the air out of the power steering to the best of my ability. Jack the tires up, turn wheels lock to lock, verifying there is still power steering fluid with NO MORE bobbles then letting the car run for a good 30 min to get the little air left out. Still the steering wheel is hard to turn. Would it be that the gearbox is for a manual steering and not for power steering? If so, what's the difference? I don't see any extra pipes to connect to gearbox since the lines run from pump to control valve then hydronic cylinder. Thank you.!

A: Hey there. There is a check valve in the po...

Hey there. There is a check valve in the power steering pump that quite often sticks after a rebuild. Since these are "restoration" components, they tend to sit on shelves longer than present-day parts. Tap lightly on the power steering pump housing and shaft with a hammer to "unstick" the check valve.

It is also possible that the control valve, which routes high pressure fluid to the "power assist" cylinder, is sticking or was not properly rebuilt. With this power assist system, which acts on the steering drag link to assist turning the front wheels, rather than through the gearbox itself - it is really irrelevant whether the steering gearbox is manual or power.

If you prefer some assistance with this issue, I would recommend having a steering system inspection conducted so that this issue can be repaired correctly.