Q: Noise when I accelerate.

My car makes a squealing noise when I accelerate and sometimes when I first start up the engine.

A: In cold weather, drive belts will make this...

In cold weather, drive belts will make this kind of squealing noise when the rubber belt material is cold and has not had a chance to warm up.

Rubber is a material that is very susceptive to heat in terms of its ability to be manipulated. The cold weather causes rubber to be less pliable and very stubborn. As the engine pulleys turn the rubber belt at a very rapid pace, even more so when you accelerate, this will cause the belt to squeak until the rubber material warms up and becomes more pliable. This may also happen when the belt needs to be tightened up.

It is recommended that you get a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to come to your location and replace the drive belt, if needed.