Q: Power steering fluid leaking in a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

The steering wheel is really hard to turn and power steering fluid is running out of the bottom of the vehicle.

A: The power steering system uses the fluid to...

The power steering system uses the fluid to help you hydraulically turn the vehicle. If the fluid leaks out, from say a torn hose, it has nothing to develop hydraulic pressure with. This causes the condition you are experiencing. If you continue to drive in this condition, you risk damaging other components in the power steering system like the power steering pump or the rack and pinion. Have a mechanic help you figure out what is leaking and if any other components are damaged.