Q: Car worked fine last night. Key won't turn in ignition this morning. Black looking liquid on key when taken out. Chimes sometimes.

I left the window cracked last night after driving. This morning I tried to start it but the key won't turn in the ignition. Chimes sometimes depending on how the key is sitting. Black residue is left on key after the key is pulled out of the ignition. Can't get the key to turn past the midpoint of lock position and ACC. Tried jiggling the key and the steering wheel. Also checked and make sure the car is in park.

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There is a rubbery stick substance that is inside the ignition switch to protect the key as it is inserted. What seems to happen is the ignition switch got hot and melted the rubbery stick substance. The fix to this is replacing the ignition switch for it to got hot and failed. Also, check the wiring to the ignition for any loose or damaged wires. If you need further assistance with the ignition switch, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic to help resolve this problem for you.

A: Hi there: Inside the ignition lock cylind...

Hi there:

Inside the ignition lock cylinder is a series of tumblers and wafers that permit the key to push forward when they are aligned. The black residue on your key may be caused by these wafers being damaged which will require you to replace the ignition lock cylinder. This job can be time consuming and difficult if you don’t have the proper tools. If you require assistance, feel free to contact one of our local mechanics to complete your ignition cylinder replacement for you.