Q: Shuddering, check engine light on. 2005 Saab 9-2X

asked by on August 26, 2016

My car started having some problems after several repairs have been done. These included the water pump, AC belt and timing belt kit replacement, along with the front camshaft seal, alternator belt and power steering belt change. About a month later, the car developed a misfiring issue on the third cylinder which I found out about at the mechanic's. The car would shudder at higher speeds. The dash shows a check engine light on as well. The mechanic also found the compression was as low as 21 PSI. What could cause this? Have the previous repairs maybe caused this problem?

Hello. It is possible that the previous repairs could cause this problem. It is also equally possible that the new problems are not related to the previous problems that you were having. If the timing belt is not on the proper timing, it could cause a misfire condition and low compression in the engine. There also could be a problem with the third cylinder of the car. The valves could be burned or the piston damaged. If this is the case, it would be necessary to have the entire engine replaced or rebuilt. If you need help scoping out the problem, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect the Check Engine Light and the timing for proper alignment.