Q: Clutch lost all hydraulic pressure after difficulty engaging gears while using the clutch.

asked by on October 17, 2016

Started noticing clutch issues about a week ago, became increasingly difficult to engage gears using clutch (especially 1st and reverse) to the point where I could not engage any gear using the clutch while car was running. Felt like the pressure plate wasn't pulling entirely off the flywheel, sometime would roll slightly forward when I was in 1st with the clutch fully pressed down. When I drove it into work this morning the clutch was extremely firm, then lost all pressure by the time I made it to the office where it's still sitting in the parking lot. Checked the clutch fluid level and it had dropped to the MIN line. Didn't notice any leaks under the engine but it was also rainy... Filled the clutch fluid reservoir up to max and tried pumping the clutch but it would not build up any pressure. Thinking it might be slave/ master cylinder, but need a fix asap!

Hello. This situation is usually a failure of either the clutch master or slave cylinder - they simply wear out. If you have any clutch fluid on the drivers side front carpet, the failure is the clutch master cylinder. If the fluid loss is on the ground, under the rear of the engine, the slave cylinder is the failing component. It is often more economical in the long run to replace both with your advanced mileage as they wear at similar rates. I would recommend having the clutch master and slave cylinder replaced by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to repair this problem.