Q: What are the wear indicators on the tires and what do they mean?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What are the wear indicators on the tires and what do they mean?

Your tires should provide you with a long life, but they will eventually wear out. Every time you drive, a minute amount of rubber is worn off the surface of the tire’s tread. Eventually, the tread will wear out completely. You need to replace your tires before that happens. Wear indicators are used to help ensure that you’re able to replace your tires before they become safety hazards.

Wear indicators are rubber bars that run across the tire. When the rubber wears down the point that the indicator can be seen, your tires need to be replaced.

Tip

Don’t wait to replace your tires – worn tread is a safety hazard, and the lower it gets, the less traction you’ll have. There’s also a greatly increased risk of suffering a blowout.