Q: Hello. On 08 pontiac g8 do I have to replace the whole thermostat housing if is leaking or could just get seals and change thermo

My car is leaking coolent looks like its coming from thermostat housing

A: Hi there: Today's OEM parts are made t...

Hi there:

Today's OEM parts are made to be cost-effective as opposed to help mechanics fabricate repairs to be honest with you. So, it's probably a good idea to replace the entire housing for a few reasons. First, the thermostat is sealed correctly inside the housing, which will reduce the potential of 'mistakes' on removing and installing the thermostat alone. Second, it's actually more cost-effective to buy the housing with the thermostat and will save you time on the repair. The big thing to remember though is to ensure you research and follow Pontiac's procedures for priming the coolant system after you complete this repair. Many mechanics fail to complete this step; which tends to create air bubbles and can create serious overheating issues. If you need a hand to replace the thermostat housing on your Pontiac, feel free to contact one of our mobile mechanics.