Q: How do I know when to change my tires?

I heard my tires will wear out soon, when do I know to change them?

A: Mechanics usually check tires with a tread ...

Mechanics usually check tires with a tread depth gauge that measures in 1/32 of an inch. Depending on the tire it can be manufactured anywhere between 8/32 to 13/32 of an inch of tread. Tires become unsafe and illegal, depending on where you live, when they get to about 3/32 of an inch. Luckily this is easy to determine. If you look at your tires between the treads, you might see a little bar that connects the two treads together. This rubber bar goes all the way across usually and looks like it's just left over from the manufacturing process. This bar is actually a wear indicator. Once your tread is even with the bar, it's time for new tires.