Q: Why would my push start not start every time? Could it be the alternator, or did the switch actually go out?

My Honda is not starting every time, The push start makes a clicking sound every time I try to start my car. I thought it might be the battery, so I changed that, but I'm still having the same problem. The car is only two years old so I'm not sure if its the alternator or maybe the switch went out.

Hi there. It sounds like it could be the starter. However, the switch is definitely a possibility. If you hear a clicking sound, then the switch is operating properly. Are there any messages on the combination meter? If so, that’s good place to start; especially if the key battery has discharged and not being recognized by the smart system. The starter could also be at fault. It’s not uncommon for a starter to fail, even in today’s cars. The clicking noise you are hearing could be the starter trying to engage, but cannot. This could be a worn/faulty starter or it could be as simple as a worn/failed battery. Have the battery tested with a digital battery tester that provides current voltage, cold cranking amps, and state of health. If the battery is healthy and only discharged, have the alternator tested for proper voltage and amperage during both idle and under load. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car does not start inspection.

• Why would my push start not start every time? Could it be the alternator, or did the switch actually go out?