Q: Rattling noise under the hood, VDC and slip light both on 2010 Nissan Altima

2 days ago my car started making a loud rattling noise it stops once we are driving but when we are stopped it starts aagin. it gets louder when we accelerate ND goes away. do you have any ideas or suggestions I plan on taking it to my mechanic for a diagnostic

Hi there - the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) system uses the anti-skid brake system (ABS) and engine throttle control to enhance vehicle stability in extreme conditions - like cornering while it’s raining. Most often, problems with this system are the result of dirty or malfunctioning wheel speed sensors, which are used by both the ABS and vehicle control systems like VDC. Check these first. The rattle you describe could be a loose exhaust heat shield, or other metal bracket attached to the engine. I recommend engine noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Late model Nissan engines are known for having timing chain issues. Typically, the noise will be most noticeable at idle as you described. If left unattended to, the engine can jump time, causing major damage. I recommend you have a professional diagnose and repair this noise as soon as possible. YourMechanic is an excellent option since we come to your home or office.

3. Rattling noise under the hood, VDC and slip light both on 2010 Nissan Altima