Q: Problems with heating with check engine light on

My car has gone around 130,000 miles and started having problems with the heating. Lately, soon after I start the car, the temperature gauges go to hot. But, there is actually no heat in the vehicle. When I put it to 100, it is probably only about 60. Sometimes it works correctly or idles a bit while hot air starts blowing.There were no check engine light or overheating warning showing until recently. The last time I turned the car on, the temperature gauge went to hot. At the same time, the check engine light came on. Is the thermostat the problem or something else? I appreciate your help.

A: On the 528's, there is an electronicall...

On the 528's, there is an electronically controlled heater valve that can stick closed, blocking heated coolant from entering the heater core. Replacing this component will mean the coolant system would need to drained, filled, and bled.

You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have training and equipment to not only replace the valve but to properly fill and bleed the cooling system.

Please note: never attempt to service the engine cooling system while the engine is hot or the system is pressurized, as doing so could result in serious injury.