Q: Car starts, then dies

asked by on May 16, 2016

My Jeep sometimes starts, then dies. This has been happening more often lately. Normally, after the car turns over, it goes to 1200 rpms, then drops to 700 rpm at idle and stays there. Lately, it just keeps dropping rpms until it just dies. The only way I can keep it running is if I hold down the brakes while giving it gas. It has to be in gear. Even then, it will drop down to 100 or 200 rpm, and it sounds like it wants to die. Do I need a new filter? What else might it be?

Hello. From what you are describing, it sounds like the mass airflow (MAF) sensor is not working properly. The mass airflow (MAF) sensor helps to regulate the air/fuel mixture and the idle of the car.

When the mass airflow (MAF) sensor is not working properly, your vehicle’s idle will go up and down and will drop very low. This will cause the vehicle to stall out. The reason why it won’t stall when you give it gas is because, by doing this, you are manually doing what the mass airflow (MAF) sensor would be doing if it were working properly.

It is also possible that there are holes or breaks in the tubing that extends from the air filter box to the throttle. Consider having a certified technician come out to replace your mass airflow sensor in order to fix your problem.