Q: Lost my brakes

Monday my break started to grind a little. Tuesday they were grinding bad and if I tried to put in reverse it felt like they weren't disengaging fully. Wednesday morning back into my parking space at home the brakes did not want to release then felt like something gave in the truck and lost all brakes. Now if the truck is off you can pump the brakes twice and they get good and hard but as soon as you start it you lose all breaks again. Have lost no fluid none is leaking what might it be?

A: Brake issues are extremely delicate and ver...

Brake issues are extremely delicate and very hard to diagnose without an onsite brake inspection. However, the problem you’re describing is common when an issue with the master cylinder exists and air finds a way into your brake lines. When you pump the brake pedal and get pressure, but then the pressure goes away, that’s usually caused by an air bubble in the lines. This is why it’s recommended to have your brake fluid flushed when you have the brakes done.

The grinding of the brakes is a clear indication that you need to have them replaced ASAP. Contact a local ASE certified mechanic to help you inspect the brakes on your car, which will also include looking into the master cylinder issue you might be experiencing. Thanks for writing in today.