Q: My car gear does not engage to drive position.

My car is a Nissan Altima, 2006 model with 4 cylinder engine, i have been having this gear issue for the past one year now. Though i use the car once in awhile. The problem is that, the automatic gear does not shift when i try to engage to drive position, until i had to do it manually. But sometimes, the gear complies and shifts to drive position. Another problem is, when i stop the the car while the gear is on drive position, the engine will be vibrating, but when i return the gear to neutral position, the engine tends to stabilize and runs smoothly. thanks

Hi there:

Sometimes this issue is caused by a faulty shift solenoid attached to the transmission; while in other instances, it can be caused by low transmission fluid or other damage inside the transmission. The best thing to do is have a professional mechanic complete a car is hard to shift inspection, so they can determine what is causing this problem and recommend the right repairs.

3. My car gear does not engage to drive position.