Q: I am looking at buying a 2007 VW passat with about 100K miles. Are there any concerns with engine issues for the 2.0T engine

I am looking at a 07 passat with 100K miles to purchase for my son. I was wondering if there are any known issues with the 2.0T engine and/or other mechanical issues (i.e. timing belt, etc.) that I should consider. I keep hearing that VWs are expensive to fix and want to know if there are any big ticket items that i should be aware of.

Generally, this is a very reliable vehicle with fairly affordable replacement parts. I would suggest checking the Kelly Blue Book website with specifics related to your zip code as market prices of cars vary by zip code. This will give you a baseline for determining whether or not the car is within a general range of the asking price. Secondly, as you know, with any car the life expectancy of it depends largely on the maintenance schedule the owner has maintained, the driving conditions it is subjected to, the driving habits of the owner and many other factors. Often times when a car has had internal damage or even slight cosmetic damage, it may be difficult to tell without looking closely or performing an in depth inspection. As with any vehicle, proper maintenance schedules are a key factor to prolonging the longevity of the vehicle and avoiding unnecessary costly repair bills due to neglecting proper maintenance intervals. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your location to perform a thorough pre-purchase inspection prior to making your purchase.

3. I am looking at buying a 2007 VW passat with about 100K miles. Are there any concerns with engine issues for the 2.0T engine