Q: Car won't start after running out of gas?

asked by on February 02, 2017

I ran out of gas and my car wouldn't start back up. it's cranking but it's barely firing. my car would always spit and sputter when I was low on gas. it started to spit and sputter then just quit. I put gas in it, now it wont start.

Fuel Pump Replacement $120.92 - $1182.22 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have had a faulty fuel pump prior to running out of fuel. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a faulty fuel pump that may have been damaged as a result of running it out of fuel. As you may know, today’s fuel pumps require the fuel to keep them cool and lubricated. When the motor is run dry out of fuel, this can cause the fuel pump to heat up in excess of what it should potentially causing damage to the pump by overheating it. As a result, depending on the extent of the damage you may experience issues related to maintaining proper fuel pressure and fuel flow. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your fuel system.