Q: I have a 1998 Caddy DeVille, has original muffler and catalytic converter. had to be tweaked to pass CA smog, replace both?

asked by on May 23, 2017

I own a 1998 Caddy Deville, it still has original muffler and catalytic converter. It had to be "tweaked" to pass CA Smog last year. Should I replace muffler and converter? Thanks, Pete

Catalytic Converter Replacement $291.63 - $3214.07 Get a Quote

Hey Pete, thanks for writing in. The replacements have more to do with what is actually wrong with the vehicle. If they have been modified illegally, then the answer is an automatic yes. Not only does it cause issues with the legalities behind California exhaust standards, but the changes may cause issues with the way the vehicle operates. The catalytic converter does most of the work when it comes to emission standards, and it will need to be focused on first. The muffler does more for sound regulation, but there are laws regarding them as well. Again, start by replacing the catalytic converter first. Replace the muffler if it is damaged, rusted out, or illegal. If you need help making the repairs and getting the car to pass SMOG testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr