Q: EGR BPT valve & EGR solenoid valve need replacements

After taking my car to the dealership, they scanned it and told me that it needs an EGR BPT valve and an EGR solenoid valve. When I looked at the hood diagram I saw the my car has three EGR components: EGRC solenoid valve, EGR- BPT valve and an EGR valve. For a month, the check engine light was on and then it shut off on its own. It has stayed off for two weeks now. Should I repair all three components or could I just repair only one of the two components they suggest replacing?

A: Hello there. When codes go away like this, ...

Hello there. When codes go away like this, it generally means that the fault has resolved itself or the Check Engine Light has failed in the cluster. If the code is gone this would indicate that there is not a problem and there is no need to replace parts unless the code comes back.

In this case, if the code comes back, it may indicate whether the fault lies with the EGR valve assembly or in the EGR solenoid. EGR valves are mechanical parts that typically do not go bad, and they can be cleaned in most cases and resume working. If you want to have this looked at, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose any faults in the exhaust system and perform any repairs that are required.