Q: Battery Light

asked by on April 29, 2017

My alternator and battery was just replaced on Tuesday and the battery light keeps coming on and going off. I'm not understanding if I have a new alternator and battery...

There is probably a fault in the charging circuit and or the connections. The charging system output should be tested and if you are noticing this problem (the warning light) intermittently but it is nevertheless quite repetitive, it’s possible to use a scan tool to monitor charging output while the mechanic test drives the car as the fault occurs. If, for example, charging output voltage is observed to drop right at the times the battery light comes on, that would provide a clue and the reason for the drop has to be identified. This should be diagnosed as a charging system/battery connection malfunction and thus the service to request is alternator inspection - battery warning light. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.