Q: Knocking, sputtering, and jerking, feels like its losing power.

asked by on May 24, 2017

Car is knocking. Steady at idle, louder and faster when accelerating or decelerating. Also jerking, sputtering, and shaking. Feels like it's losing power and can't accelerate past 30-35mph without it doing that either. Was told that the knocking could be an engine lifter or piston but the jerking and all that is new?

Hi there. Typically these symptoms are not associated with the same exact mechanical fault. Like you said, engine knocking is sometimes caused by lifters or engine misfiring, but the engine jerking and inconsistent acceleration could be something completely different. It’s possible that you have a vacuum leak, worn engine mounts or mass air flow sensor / other fuel system components that are dirty or damaged. It’s better to have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is slow to accelerate inspection first, so they can isolate the issues and determine what repairs will resolve these issues.