Q: Why won't my car go in reverse?

I have a 2001 saturn sl1. It will not reverse! The fluids are full and it drives just fine. It just stopped going into reverse randomly. I was loosing transmission fluid rapidly. 5 quarts in less than 2 days. But i replaced the transmission filter and its been holding up. The fluids are full now but it wont reverse. Please help. Im a 22 yr old female with no car experience! Any advice helps! !

Hello - hopefully the few days where the transmission was losing fluid badly did not damage anything. Causes of "no reverse" include: valve body wear, especially the pressure regulator valve, a loose nut on the transmission main shaft (causes an internal pressure leak), a faulty speed sensor (internal to the transmission), or a mis-adjusted pattern select switch (think of it as a gear selector mechanism). Each of these possibilities, unfortunately, require the expertise of a reputable transmission technician. However, you now have the most common failure scenarios for a "no reverse" condition, and can hold your head high discussing this problem with the tech! If you’d like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location and diagnose the issue with your gears firsthand. Best of luck.

3. Why won't my car go in reverse?