Q: Why won't my car go in reverse?

asked by on November 08, 2016

I have a 2001 saturn sl1. It will not reverse! The fluids are full and it drives just fine. It just stopped going into reverse randomly. I was loosing transmission fluid rapidly. 5 quarts in less than 2 days. But i replaced the transmission filter and its been holding up. The fluids are full now but it wont reverse. Please help. Im a 22 yr old female with no car experience! Any advice helps! !

Transmission fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Not able to change gears Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - hopefully the few days where the transmission was losing fluid badly did not damage anything. Causes of "no reverse" include: valve body wear, especially the pressure regulator valve, a loose nut on the transmission main shaft (causes an internal pressure leak), a faulty speed sensor (internal to the transmission), or a mis-adjusted pattern select switch (think of it as a gear selector mechanism). Each of these possibilities, unfortunately, require the expertise of a reputable transmission technician. However, you now have the most common failure scenarios for a "no reverse" condition, and can hold your head high discussing this problem with the tech! If you’d like a second opinion on this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location and diagnose the issue with your gears firsthand. Best of luck.