Q: Clunking noise from the rear passenger side when going over uneven roads or bumps.

asked by on December 31, 2016

Hi there!

So I've been hearing clunking noise from my car lately. I went to multiple shops and they can't pinpoint the problem, that's why I diagnose it myself. '

So to start with, the noise comes on when I hit a bump (more so when only the right side is hitting the bump) or uneven roads. I'm unable to hear it when going over 50+, at least rarely.

I checked the shop if it was the exhaust system being too loose and it may have been, but they said it can not make that sound.

I double checked the trunk by taking out the spare tires and checking the noise and it was still there.

Finally, I folded the rear seats down and drove and the sound got louder, definitely noticeable even at high speeds. I checked online and they told me to check the suspension part that can be seen on the trunk. So I followed their advice and took a peak and I saw the part. It looks stiff, but I can definitely hear the sound from that area.

I don't know what it's called specifically to be honest.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. It appears you’ve done a pretty good job of diagnosing a possible problem with either your rear strut or rear stabilizer bar. It’s common for struts and stabilizer bar bushings to wear out first among suspension components (especially on the rear end of a front wheel drive vehicle like you’re Honda Civic). However, before you schedule replacement of these components, you should have a professional mobile mechanic come to your location and complete a car is making a noise inspection. This will allow them to verify your diagnosis and suspicion so that the right repairs can be made.