Q: How do I install the spare tire?

How do I install the spare tire?

Drive your car long enough and you’ll experience it – having a flat tire. It’s no fun at all, but the spare tire will let you get back on the road (and to get your flat repaired or replaced). Of course, you need to know how to install the spare to use it. Here’s how to do that:

1. Find somewhere level and safe to park.

2. Turn on your hazard lights.

3. Put the car in park (reverse if it’s a stick shift).

4. Chock the tire diagonally across from the flat.

5. Get the jack, lug wrench and other tools out of the back (they’re located in a storage compartment in the cargo area).

6. Use the tools to lower the spare from under the vehicle.

7. Loosen the lug nuts on the flat tire but don’t remove them.

8. Set the jack under the lift point and raise the vehicle.

9. Remove the lug nuts.

10. Remove the flat tire.

11. Install the spare tire.

12. Hand tighten the lug nuts.

13. Lower the vehicle.

14. Use the lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts (don’t over tighten them).

15. Put the flat tire on the tether and secure it under the vehicle again (you can also put it in the cargo area of the vehicle).

16. Replace the jack and tools.

17. Have your flat repaired or replaced.

Tip

The TPMS light and the Low Tire Pressure Light will come on in the dash when driving with the spare installed. The Low Tire Pressure Light will eventually go out but the TMPS light will stay on. It will go out when the normal tire is put back on the car.

3. How do I install the spare tire?