Q: 4x4 stuttering issue

Whenever I make a U-turn, I would feel Stutter or slip in my rear drivers side wheel. I brought my car to a mechanic, and he suggested it was either the transfer case gear or motor. I replaced both parts, and now I feel a stutter or slip in my drivers side front wheel when I make a U-turn. I only feel the stutter when I turn the wheel all the way to the left. Plus, my 4x4 traction light is still illuminated on the dash? Any ideas what the issue might be? My mechanic now thinks it might be the steering angle sensor. Could that fix the issue? I'd love a second opinion. Thanks.

Hi there. The shutter could be a couple of things. First see if the tires are too wide and hitting the frame or inner fender. This will make a shutter sound and vibration and is a common issue with 4x4’s. The other thing is to check the universal joints in the front axle for any looseness or damaged joint caps. The bearings tend to burn up in the front axle due to lack of lubrication. 99.9% of all 4x4’s have non lubricating grease zerks on the front axle universal joints. These u-joints rotate and also turn with the wheels, so there is always a huge load on them at all times. If the bearings are worn out, then there will be a gap in the cap making the u-joint bind on heavy cornering.

I recommend replacing the u-joints on both front left and front right if you find them worn out. If you need further assistance with diagnosing and fixing your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to pinpoint the shutter issue firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs. Best of luck.

3. 4x4 stuttering issue