Q: motor mount replacement at home

I would like to know if I could tackle changing a motor mount on lumina van by my self with just floor jack and jack stands. it's a favor for an elderly friend she cant afford $350. could you walk me through it?

Hello. Depending on what engine you have, the type of transmission in the van, and which mount you are replacing will determine the mount replacement procedure. You may have to drop the subframe to remove the mount you need to replace. You cannot do this with jack stands and a jack without it being very dangerous. If you are doing an accessible mount where all you have to do is support the engine to replace it, then you could possibly do it.

The most common mount to break is the one on the rear of the motor, but your car may have both the front and rear and the dog-bone-style one that is bad. Find out which ones are broken and then decide if the $350 is a good deal. If you decide that you would like this repair to be handled for you, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home to replace the motor mount.

3. motor mount replacement at home