Q: Overheating

asked by on December 01, 2016

This morning I was on my way into work, I got gas about 3 miles from home while pumping gas i added coolant to my reservoir do to the fact it was empty. I filled it 3/4 full, after finishing up getting gas I was back on the road I traveled about 10-15 miles without any heat my light indicating my engine was over heating came on, so I pulled over shut my car off gave a check over my engine for possible coolant leaks. I started my car back up and got a little head as my engines cooled down a little, so I got back on the road and reached the highway .5 miles away and light came back on so again I pulled over turned it off and back on and again a little heat and engine cooled down a little again, 3 miles later light cams on and it cooled down by its self a little, I was worried so I pulled off the highway took a look again and I had no coolant in the resivor it was wet under over flow n felt like no coolant in line going into thermostat (changed 2 months ago)... any ideas what's wrong..

Thermostat Replacement $141.88 - $639.09 Get a Quote
Radiator Replacement $299.84 - $1239.51 Get a Quote

This can be caused by a number of things such as low coolant levels, a faulty thermostat, a clogged radiator or a failing coolant fan switch. As you may know the coolant fan switch helps to maintain the proper coolant temperature by turning on and off at specific temperature thresholds. When this switch is not working properly, this can cause the fans to come on intermittently, all the time or sometimes not at all. When this happens you will notice a temperature spike and drop occasionally as the fan comes on and off. When your thermostat is not working properly or is stuck closed, this will not allow the coolant to properly circulate through the engine, which may cause the engine temperature to fluctuate erratically or in some cases just remain hot. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your cooling system.