Q: What does it mean if the message center shows a warning saying “Cross traffic system fault?”

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does it mean if the message center shows a warning saying “Cross traffic system fault?”

The Cross Traffic Alert system on your car (if equipped) provides important safety when backing out of a parking space. This system is supposed to detect objects to the rear and sides of the vehicle (cross traffic coming down the lane in a parking lot, for instance). It will alert you to help prevent a potential accident. If you see a warning in the message center saying “Cross traffic system fault,” it means that the computer has detected an error in the system, and that it is no longer turned on. You’ll need to have the car inspected as soon as possible. In the meantime, drive carefully and check behind you anytime you back out of a parking spot.

Tip

If the warning says “Cross traffic not available,” it means that the system isn’t enabled and you’ll need to activate it.