Q: ABS pump bad soft pedal - 2008 Ford Fusion

asked by on December 07, 2016

I want to replace my abs pump with a used one but need to know if I can use any year or has to be same number on the pump as the one I'm replacing. Do I have to take it to dealership to reprogram the new one?

Hello - Yes, a replacement ABS pump must have the same part number as the pump it is replacing. These units are specific to your vehicle (make/model/production group), and have to match for the software that drives them to operate correctly. If you buy the correct replacement pump, you should not require software re-programming, but this is not a certainty. I would highly recommend a rebuilt or new replacement pump - no guarantee at all that a used pump won’t have similar wear and problem conditions as your current pump. Unfortunately, ABS pump replacement is not a service YourMechanic offers at this time. Thanks for thinking of us though!