Q: Reference point for the width of the car and correct steering method.

I am a new driver and I would like to know how to judge the width of my car. And I also cant see my bonnet at all. Please guide me is there any reference point to judge the width of the car inside of the car from the driver position so that I can judge the width of my car and avoid the crash while the car is coming from the opposite direction by knowing my car position on the road. And also please guide me how to steer the wheel correctly ,which is the best and safest and smooth way to steer the sharp turns and 90 degrees turn. And also when driving manual cars how to steer with one hand and where is the right position to hold the steering wheel when driving one hand 12 or quarter to 3.Thanks very much. With Best Regards

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. Being that...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Being that you're a new driver, if you live in the United States; I'd take advantage of a great program aimed at teens called B.R.A.K.E.S. (Be Responsible and Keep Everybody Safe). It's based in North Carolina, but they have BRAKES events across the US. They teach defensive driving tactics and also how to gauge the overall width, length of your vehicle.

Without knowing what type of vehicle you're planning on driving first, it's difficult for us to tell you what reference point is good. However, when driving, having your hands at 10 o'clock and two o'clock position is the best for easy and safe operation of the steering wheel. It's also a good idea for you to take a basic driving education class; which can easily be researched online.