Q: Fuel range indicator says I can drive 180 miles until empty. I drive half a mile and the indicator already says 165 miles left. What's wrong?

My 09 passat, just started to give me what I think wrong fuel readings? I put some gas, indicator says I can drive for 180 miles til empty, 1 Mile later, it indicates 165 miles left? What's wrong? Is it using gas like crazy or is sending the wrong info?

A: This calculation your car performs is a con...

This calculation your car performs is a constantly varying calculation due to a couple of things. One part of this calculation is based upon the driving habits of the driver and how the throttle is used in combination with how much fuel is left in the tank. The computer calculates a running average of the fuel used relative to how much fuel is in the tank. As you use more throttle consistently, this average mileage to empty calculation goes down. However, if you feel something is definitely out of the ordinary, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car's fuel mileage issue.