Q: What does it mean if the "O/D Off" light comes on while driving? 1999 Ford Explorer

asked by on December 29, 2016

My 99 Explorer Sport drives well, just had all the sensors checked and replaced. Sometimes while I'm driving however, the "O/D Off" light comes on. This happens sometimes, but not all the time and it'll be random. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor as I've seen it come on before while driving very slow. The only way I've been able to make it go away is to simply restart the car.. is this a sign for something failing? The light doesn't blink, it simply turns on.

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - first thing to check is for correct fluid level in the transmission. If fluid level is correct, the most likely culprit here is a bad vehicle speed sensor. A bad sensor can cause the transmission controller to think the vehicle is going slower than it is, causing overdrive selection to disengage. I would recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.