Q: Serpentine belt is squeaking/chirping - 2006 Ford Expedition

Just purchased this vehicle a few months ago when I began to notice a quiet squeak coming from the engine when I would avcelerate. Took it back to the dealer mechanic who said it was just a dry belt. He sprayed some liquid on my belt and the problem went away. Its been fine for a few weeks but today the squeak came back. Should I just find whatever spray he used and respray the belt or does it need to get changed. Mechanic at the dealership said the belt looked fine.. should I get it changed anyway or just get it sprayed? What kind of spray do I get?

A: When the car was built, I guarantee that Fo...

When the car was built, I guarantee that Ford didn’t have a guy on the assembly line spraying belts. I would first check to make sure that all of the pulleys are ALIGNED. It is not unusual, for the PULLEY on the crankshaft harmonic balancer pulley to move (generally outward) relative to its original position. The pulley is rubber bonded and over time can move. If that pulley moves, that means that the belt groves are no longer running in a perfect plane and that alone can cause noise. At 120,000 miles you might also consider the condition bearings in the idler pulley and belt tensioner. The grease in those bearings eventually dries out and that can contribute to or cause noise of the type you are describing. To my knowledge, you should not have to spray a serpentine belt to quieten it. The noise is indicative of another issue. I recommend getting a second opinion on the vehicle from another mechanic. If you’d like to have this checked by an independent mechanic, one from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the sound and can follow through on recommendations.