Q: My car is idling weird and cuts off when I put it into any gear

asked by on November 03, 2016

I bought this car last year and it was running hot, I recently started to try and fix it after letting it sit for a year and now when I crank it it idles weird and then when I go to put it in gear it cuts off. What could be causing this ?

Hello there. A few common problems will cause your 1996 Nissan Maxima to cut out when it is put in gear and have a rough idle. The idles issues and cutting off could be related or separate issues. Likely causes for the idle issues are a vacuum leak, MAF sensor, fuel pump, spark plugs, plug wires, ignition coil, or an exhaust leak.

When a vehicle cuts off when the transmission is placed in drive, the most likely fault is a locked up torque converter. When the torque converter locks at idle it causes the engine to stall and shut off. A few faults can cause the torque converter to lock up such as low fluid level, transmission leak, a failing torque converter, or a transmission mechanical issue.

If you would like to have this all scoped out, a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your stalling issue and perform any repairs required.