Q: Noise in the front end while turning the steering wheel

asked by on November 04, 2016

I have a noise (sounds like a squeak) coming from the front end when I turn the steering wheel. I do not have to be moving and it's not there if I don't move the steering wheel. It sounds like rubber rubbing against metal. I recently took my truck in and they said I need new ball joints in the front end, and while that may be true, I don't see how this will fix the issue. When it began a few weeks ago it was faint and didn't happen all the time. Now it's noticeable and happens every time I turn. To me it seems more like a lubrication issue. Any guesses on what and where the problem is?

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Ball Joint Front Replacement $111.49 - $774.56 Get a Quote

This is a common sound when the ball joints begin to wear out. As the ball joints are subjected to various loads and pressure depending on the weight of the vehicle and force/torque of each turn, this squeaking may vary in intensity. The harder the turn, generally the louder the squeak.

In your case, the Ford F250 Super Duty is a very heavy truck which puts an enormous strain on these. As the problem gets worse, the sound will become more pronounced.

I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the noise firsthand and repair the ball joints on your truck if necessary. Good luck.