Q: Noise in the front end while turning the steering wheel

I have a noise (sounds like a squeak) coming from the front end when I turn the steering wheel. I do not have to be moving and it's not there if I don't move the steering wheel. It sounds like rubber rubbing against metal. I recently took my truck in and they said I need new ball joints in the front end, and while that may be true, I don't see how this will fix the issue. When it began a few weeks ago it was faint and didn't happen all the time. Now it's noticeable and happens every time I turn. To me it seems more like a lubrication issue. Any guesses on what and where the problem is?

This is a common sound when the ball joints begin to wear out. As the ball joints are subjected to various loads and pressure depending on the weight of the vehicle and force/torque of each turn, this squeaking may vary in intensity. The harder the turn, generally the louder the squeak.

In your case, the Ford F250 Super Duty is a very heavy truck which puts an enormous strain on these. As the problem gets worse, the sound will become more pronounced.

I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the noise firsthand and repair the ball joints on your truck if necessary. Good luck.

3. Noise in the front end while turning the steering wheel