Q: Is manifold gasket replacement a diehard requirement for manifold r&r?

Basically I have a TSB on my vehicle which requires the removal of my Intake Manifold to check a PCV opening. Then I must check under the Cam Cover for heat stake marks. Slightly unrelated, I'm going to be replacing timing components soon. I'd like to remove the Cam cover and replace the valve gaskets and seals, check my heatstake marks, and replace. Then when doing timing components, reuse the new gasket I just replaced. I'd like to salvage the intake manifold gasket when returning it to the vehicle. If I had to get a new IM I would get a new gasket. Mainly wondering does the gasket HAVE to be replaced EVERY time the seal is separated? I know it's 'recommended', but based on real world experienece, is the issue that black and white?

A: The intake manifold gasket can be reused if...

The intake manifold gasket can be reused if it is not damaged in any way. The cost of the new gasket versus removing the intake again if it leaks is something to think about. Consider if it’s worth the risk to reuse it if you had to do the job twice. The manual for your Pontiac Grand Am says you can reuse it as long as it is not damaged, but I personally would not reuse it.

If you need some assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come help you with the repairs you’re making and service your intake manifold gasket as necessary. Good luck.