Q: My car is losing all engine power off and on when driving

My 2001 Ford Crown Victoria looses all engine power. I'm having problems when I'm driving my car and all of the sudden there is no power from the engine while I'm pushing the gas pedal to the floor the car just coast to a stop. Then eventually the car shuts off. If I let my car sit for a 15 minutes or longer it will start right back up then eventually do the same thing 5 miles or up to 40 miles down the road. I took the car to a repair shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. GO figure once I left the repair shop and got about 50 miles down the road, the car started acting up again. Any Ideas? I was thinking fuel filter or pump?

Hey there. With a problem like this, it is a great idea to start with the fuel system. The fuel pump and filter should be checked. These need to be replaced together anyway. Depending on how many miles are on the vehicle, if it has over 100,000-150,000 miles, that fuel pump is going to be tired. It would better your fuel mileage and help other components to have it replaced and is probably a good idea to do this in the first place.

Something like this can also be throttle-related. The throttle should have been inspected when they had it in the shop, but you may want to have it looked over again. If the throttle reads, there is nothing being pumped into the engine and the engine will die. The idle control should keep it running, but with severe wiring damage that may have been effected as well. The only way to figure it out, without trial and error, is to have the car stall when a technician is present with a scan tool and the ability to test several things.

3. My car is losing all engine power off and on when driving