Q: My truck shakes when I hit the gas

asked by on October 29, 2015

I bought this 2010 Ford F-150 XLT (automatic) truck used with 45k miles on it. I felt a vibration in it. My local shop checked the alignment and replaced a tire. As I left the shop, it felt pretty good. Now at take off, it hesitates and I get vibration and clunking noise when accelerating. Any idea what's causing this?

This issue is most commonly caused by the driveline shaft’s slip-yoke and splines. It is caused by the two piece driveshaft slip joint binding up when the two shafts slide in and out of each other. This will mainly occur on starts, stops, and going over bumps. The good news is Ford has a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) to cover the issue. The TSB is 12-7-13 dated July 31, 2012. This covers removal, cleaning of driveshaft slip-yoke, lubrication of joint with the new special grease, and boot clamps in Ford kit part number 9L3Z-4W602-A. You can contact YourMechanic today for an estimate for this work.