Q: Charcoal can gas leak

My charcoal canister is filling up with liquid gas and leaking out the bottom. I was told it was possibly a purge valve? Ive had to replace the can twice already.

All modern cars are equipped with an Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) system. The EVAP system prevents fuel vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere. The EVAP system collects and temporarily stores the fuel vapors in the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister is filled with activated carbon pellets that can absorb the fuel vapors. When the engine is running, the fuel vapors are purged from the canister and burned in the engine.

The vent control valve (solenoid) controls the flow of outside air in and out of the charcoal canister. One side of the vent valve is connected to the charcoal canister. The other side is connected to the vent hose that has a filter or screen at the end and is attached to the car body or frame. In some cars, the vent valve is attached to the canister. In others, it’s installed separately near the canister.

The vent valve is controlled by the engine computer. Normally the vent valve is open. It closes when the engine computer tests the EVAP system for leaks. If a leak in the EVAP system is detected, the Check Engine Light will illuminate on the dash and the trouble code related to the problem will be stored in the engine computer. I would recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, take a look at your car to properly diagnose and replace your solenoid.

3. Charcoal can gas leak