Q: If the temp gauge don't go beyond the halfway point do I have a bad radiator? No coolant on grounds noted.

2 dealership, 1 Goodyear mechanic, and a recommended mom/pops mechanic told me my radiator is leaking. My temp. Gauge never went up beyond halfway and I didn't notice coolant on the ground where I park my car. I had the radiator changed not knowing any better. After doing researched on signs of bad radiators I felt duped. The temp. Gauge is just a hairline lower the halfway gauge where it was before. When I asked the mechanic whither the gauge will go lower to the lowest level, he responded with NO. He also said, not to worry since I now have a new radiator. Is this true? Where should the temp. Gauge level should be? Did I really have a leaking radiator? My mileage now is 134,000. I didn't notice any rust colored sludges on my original Toyota radiator. He also lied to me that Denso the manufacturer of the radiator he used to replaced mine manufactures Toyota's radiators. Charged me $560 total. Is this reasonable? Thank u.

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your Toyota Sienna. You could have a leaking radiator without knowing it. I was taught that there are classes of leaks; class 1 is a leak that just leaves a wet spot on the part, class 2 is where the drop forms but doesn’t drip, class 3 is where is leak drips on the ground. They may not have been 100% honest about how serious it was but it may have been a leak.

Will it stay at the lowest point? No, your car has an operating temperature of around 150-160 degrees fahrenheit. Depending on where you live and what state it could be lower or higher. I cannot speak on the reasonable part because it depends on where you live and the price the shop charges by the hour. Good luck and I hope this helps.

• If the temp gauge don't go beyond the halfway point do I have a bad radiator? No coolant on grounds noted.