My car is making a grinding noise mazda tribute warning l...

Q: My car is making a grinding noise

asked by on May 23, 2016

When I am driving, there is a weird grinding noise and it is braking strangely. The grinding noise happens at any time, not just when I am braking. When it happens, I will pull over and try to put the car in park but it won't go into gear. The car will shift into gear at all other times. The car's transmission has been rebuilt twice. I went to the shop that gave me the warranty and they can't figure it out. I went to another shop, thinking that it could be the tone rings, but they checked that out and that's fine. Another problem that I have noticed is that after the grinding noise stops, the traction control logo lights up. What could this be?

Hello. It sounds like you either have a speed sensor that is not reading correctly or you may have a transmission or transfer case issue. If this is an all-wheel drive model, then it is more than likely the transfer case unit. These fail all of the time on this vehicle and make this noise.

If these are fine, then a scan tool needs to be installed to see what the sensors are reading to see if there are any issues with any of them. If you need to have it looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the grinding noise in person and point you towards the correct repairs.