Q: belts could not be changed because they couldn't not be removed by mechanic

My sister wants to get her belts changed on her Infiniti. But the mechanic couldn't get them off. I know on some cars you need a special tool to take certain parts off. Maybe it has a certain type of bolt or screw that is not universal. Do you know if you need a certain type of tool to take off the belts?

A: Nissan and Infiniti vehicles usually requir...

Nissan and Infiniti vehicles usually require you to adjust two different bolts to remove the belt. The two bolts are the lock bolt and the adjustment bolt. These bolts are usually located on the power steering pump or the alternator.

The first thing to do is loosen the lock bolt because this bolt locks the adjustment bolt in place. Once this bolt is loose, the adjustment bolt can be loosened which will in turn release tension on the belt. This type of setup is not normal considering that most manufacturers are using a spring loaded automatic belt tensioner. This type of tensioner only requires a ratchet to remove tension from the belt.

I'd recommend contacting a certified mechanic who can come and perform belt services such as this at your home or office for your convenience.

Recommended services
Get a Quote