Q: car suddenly won't start but radio and lights work, repair shop can't find problem

All of a sudden my car won't start. It had been running fine before that. It is so strange. The radio and lights work, but it won't start. Sometimes you have to shake the battery cables and other times you need to put it in neutral and it will start. I have taken my car into the shop many times, but they can't find out what is wrong. Do you have any ideas?

For the vehicle to start, many different systems must work. The most common causes of no-start conditions are the battery, starter, battery cable, ignition switch, or the fuel pump. Any of these can be intermittent issues, which will not always act up. Given that you have had success with shaking the battery cables, this may indicate that one of the cables is failing. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose your starting issue and perform any repairs required.

3. car suddenly won't start but radio and lights work, repair shop can't find problem