Q: At what RPM should my car be at while idling. My car is a 2000 Mazda 626 automatic.

asked by on October 30, 2016

What level of rev meter should my car be when on idle?

Throttle Body Replacement $267.08 - $1836.29 Get a Quote
Idle Control Valve Replacement $162.54 - $1028.01 Get a Quote
Engine idle speed is high Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Hey there. The specifications for the idle speed in gear for a 2.0 liter engine is 500 to 800 rpm. If you have a 2.5 liter engine the specifications are 550 to 750 rpm. Both of these rpm specifications are with the engine in park. The tachometer on your car is not very accurate unless it has a digital readout display of the actual rpms. If the idle is high then check for vacuum leaks in the inlet tube. If idle is too low, then check the throttle body and idle control valve for carbon build up and clean as needed. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the idle and make corrections if you are noticing it to be abnormal.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr