Q: Squeaking metallic sound when turning

Yesterday for the first time my 2011 Kia Sorento started making a metallic shirll/squeaking noise when turning. The sound seems to be coming from the front driver side. The sound is prominent when turning left although I can hear it slightly when turning right. The sound is there on all road surfaces when turning. I do not hear the sound when turning the steering while the car is in park. The sound seems to occur more when making a complete turn rather than a slight turn. I had to drive on a somewhat bumpy gravel road yesterday for about a 1/4 of a mile. Do you know what cam be causing this noise?

A: Thank you for the detailed information, it ...

Thank you for the detailed information, it helps! The front driver side is where the majority of the steering components are located. Start by checking the power steering fluid. The best option is to raise the vehicle and inspect that side of the vehicle. You will want to look at the steering gear box, the linkage, and on down to the wheel hubs. This should include an inspection of the control arms, and other suspension components as well. Steering and suspension are very closely related and have adverse effects on each other. If you see any power steering fluid leaking, look to the steering gear for damages or a failed seal. The control arms also have CV joints that make similar noises to what you described. If those are cracked, leaking, or crushed they will need to be replaced.