Q: Difficulty shifting into first gear

I've been having shifting issues with my truck occasionally. It is difficult to shift into first gear. I replaced the clutch slave cylinder. Also, I later had it rebled. However, the same shifting problem happens occasionally. What could be causing this? Thank you.

A: It is possible that the clutch itself may h...

It is possible that the clutch itself may have been worn down to the point where it can no longer engage the correct gear. Clutches are made of the same material as brake pads and can wear down over time.

Once this wear reaches a certain point, the clutch should be replaced. The clutch replacement often involves removing the transmission or engine from the vehicle. Once the clutch has been replaced, the vehicle will have like new shifting performance due to the regained friction material that the clutch possesses.

I would recommend having a qualified mechanic take a look at your vehicle to diagnose your shifting issue and figure out whether or not your clutch requires replacement.